Sunday, March 15, 2009

Stronger Families



This week I had the opportunity to teach about how to build stronger families. I think that is one of the things that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is known for. It is not that we have some magic formula but it is because we understand how vital it is that our family is with us for all eternity. To prepare ourselves for that blessing we do the little things now that create stronger bonds and a happier family.
President Kimball (1895-1985) stated, “Home is a haven against the storms and struggles of life. Spirituality is born and nurtured by daily prayer, scripture study, home gospel discussions and related activities, home evenings, family councils, working and playing together, serving each other, and sharing the gospel with those around us. Spirituality is also nurtured in our actions of patience, kindness, and forgiveness toward each other and in our applying gospel principles in the family circle” (“Therefore I Was Taught,” Tambuli, Aug. 1982, 2; Ensign, Jan. 1982, 3).
Our homes can be a refuge and will be as we make living the gospel as a family, a priority.
The Book of Mormon teaches us in 3 Nephi 18:21," Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed," how true that is. When a family prays together it brings peace into the home and allows the home to become a place of safety and love.

1 comment:

  1. What class are you teaching? Sounds maybe like relief society? I teach young womens so I never get lessons like these, sometimes I wish I did. Speaking of families, are you two planning on starting one soon after the big day?? I sure hope so!! Build the kingdom right?! I can give you some great quotes by Brigham Young if you need motivation on not using birth control :)

    ReplyDelete