Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The naming of the true church


This week I reread 3 Nephi 27 in the Book of Mormon. Here the doctrine of Christ's church is stated quite clearly. As I served my mission in the southern states I came to know and talk with people from various churches. Many proclaiming the doctrine of Jesus Christ. I soon realized that there is confusion among Christian churches today concerning the naming and structure of Christ's church.

In 3 Nephi 27, Christ makes a very direct comment that if a church is not named under his name, then it is not his church. There are many Christian churches that do not carry the name of Jesus Christ in it's title.

"And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel."( 3 Nephi 27:8)

Here we understand that not only does the church need to be called by his name but also teach his same doctrine. The true church would also have to show forth good works, perhaps even a "marvelous work and a wonder", as Isaiah said.
"And if it so be that the church is built upon my gospel then will the Father show forth his own works in it."(3 Nephi 27:10)

I'm grateful for many churches in the world that continue to teach people how to live and strive to become more like Christ. While there are so many different churches I know that Christ's true church must bear his name, have His priesthood authority (power to perform baptisms, give the gift of the Holy Ghost, healing the sick and all other saving ordinances), have the structure of Apostles and Prophets (Ephesians 2:20) and teach His doctrine.

From study and prayer I know that these evidences of truth are found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment